Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

TBM Shock Jet

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

TBM Shock Jet

Old 08-03-2008, 04:20 PM
georbeckha
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TBM Shock Jet

I Agree 100%. This is not a political forum. This is a forum for the Troy Built ShockJet. Lets Leave it there for those of us that have this plane.
That's enough of the political BS from me...

That said, here is a video of the second flight yesterday (August 2nd 2008)

[link=http://www.georbeckha.com/Shockjet.mov]ShockJet Movie[/link]

You'll need to have the free Quicktime movie player to view it so if it says anything about needing it, you'll need to download it.

George

Old 08-03-2008, 07:02 PM
larryfl1
My Feedback: (3)

video looks great
Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 PM
SinCityJets

Here are some pictures of the packing. This box was packed in a larger cardboard box that had plywood sheets on all 6 sides. It would take a piercing from a fork lift to cause any damage on these planes.

Everything is packed and tied down really well. Again, I was amazed with the packing job and the apparent quality of the build.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62374.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1003915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98909.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1003916   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24918.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1003917  
Old 08-04-2008, 12:34 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: georbeckha

I Agree 100%. This is not a political forum. This is a forum for the Troy Built ShockJet. Lets Leave it there for those of us that have this plane.

You'll need to have the free Quicktime movie player to view it so if it says anything about needing it, you'll need to download it.

George

poor packing job
Old 08-04-2008, 02:50 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: GSR

ORIGINAL: georbeckha

George

Nice packing job
Old 08-04-2008, 06:44 AM
ChuckC
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted because after the edit by the moderator, the message changed too much.

Can't endorse it.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Who is this "zemkes_wolfpack" and why is he editing other peoples posts?

He and I are moderators. We have the job of keeping posts on track and to prevent the forum descending into chaos.

What gives here?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
zemkes_wolfpack
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: F-18DiamondBack102

What gives here?
I am the Jet forum moderator and I edited the posts because a ticket was opened about the edited posts. I have communicated with both parties and everything is cool.

Jim
Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Shok

ORIGINAL: SinCityJets

We all know you are a TBM dealer.
If he is, then he SHOULD STATE IT IN HIS SIG LINE. It is RCU policy.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:48 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

While in Florida this past weekend we had the opportunity to fly the new ARF ShokJet that is currently under development by the guys at Troy Built Models. All we can say is AWESOME!!!! This jet is simple yet versatile. It will take-off in about 10 feet and land like a 40 size trainer. Rolling circles, rolling loops, point rolls, snap rolls, slow rolls, and much much more are all well within the capabilties of this jet. This is the first jet I have ever seen do a 400 ft dive to landing. It weighs 12.5 lbs dry. The ShokJet was so enjoyable and relaxing to fly that it will become our everyday sport plane.

Thank You again to Gene, Bill, and John at TBM for a GREAT time Saturday.

Jim & Cheryl
Falcon Models
Custom Building Service

Attachments

this tbm thread has been pretty clean for the most part considering its history. however, i dont think it is right that sin city should rub it in about the name. just like ian the mod got caught covering for gene, i think all here should know jim aka zempkes wolfpack aka mod that has been doing a lot of deleting, isnt as clean as the wind driven snow on this deal. he is after all, the one who started the very first thread announcing the tbm shokjet. i felt as if he was played back then. i am not sure who is doing the playing today, but jim should make it clear he does have some type of relationship with tbm. i included a pic of him in sarasota with the shokjet. i just think we should all come clean about our relationships here instead of hiding behind the delete key. jim sems like a nice guy, but there is a history. barry
Attached Images  
Old 08-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

What gives here?
It gotten to be a bit Orwellian since the departure of the Ghost.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: Gordito Volador

What gives here?
It gotten to be a bit Orwellian since the departure of the Ghost.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83058.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1004982  
Old 08-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Aww, c'mon Ben - stop selling yourself short ... we all know you are at least 2" taller than shown in that pic.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 PM
zemkes_wolfpack
My Feedback: (5)

Due to questions about my integrity and my ability to be unbiased, I am handing this thread over to another moderator.

Jim
Old 08-05-2008, 01:00 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is better than Disneyworld for sure.....
Old 08-05-2008, 01:02 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

I will be putting the moderators hat back on for the next few days on this thread.

I may seem to be little stricter than usual, if so please bear with me. However there is clearly some history here and some politics.

Lets keep the thread on track. I will quote the thread start below.

Any expeiences to report about the TBM Shock Jet regarding quality, building, flying, etc?
Please stick to quality, building, flying, and be careful about the etc?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:27 PM
georbeckha

One thing on quality I did forget to mention is that the wheels supplied with the plane ore not the best quality.
I mean, they look nice and all and are light weight, but out of the 6 or 7 flights put on this over the weekend, one or the other main tires threatened to come off (Only made it half off) on 2 or 3 of the landings, and on the last flight on Sunday, I was landing in a cross wind and hit a patch of rough ground. the nose tire popped off the rim and wrapped itself around one side of the nose gear legs causing the nose wheel to lock up. (It also may have had something to do with it 'tripping over' the nose wheel and flipping over onto it's back.)

Now I think I'll pop the tires off myself (Really easy to do) and use some cement between the tire and wheel to kind of try to hold the wheels on!

All in all, this kind of reminds me of a Great Planes Trainer .60 I used to have before they discontinued it in favor of the PT .60
It's Big and bulky, kind of like a box with wings on it, but it flies and flies well! This plane will be great for the beginners into jets that want a sunday flyer they can take out and not worry about a ding here or a scrape there. Plus it turns heads with that Turbine Sound!

George
Old 08-06-2008, 12:44 AM
larryfl1
My Feedback: (3)

question.... servos....

I purchased jr 821 standard digital servos...

they are like 90oz on 6 volt and plastic gear....

i am starting to reconsider the servo choice...

is the 821 sufficient or will i have problems compared to something like hs5645?????

whats your thoughts?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 AM
seflyer

I think the 5645 would be a decent choice as long as slop is minimized. I may run these on my shockjet when it arrives thursday, I might run an extra 8711 on the elevator as I have a stockpile of them, I need to figure out where to put the smoke tanks.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 AM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Me personally........

I wouldn't fly any plane that can pull the G's and sustain the speeds of a jet with plastic gear servos.

They may work just fine though according to the rates.

I've always felt money spent on Servos was one area I wouldn't compromise on. Besides they are typically salvagable after accidents (unless fire is envolved) and can be put in other airframes.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As j.duncker is on vacation I'm going to help him out here and try to sort out the problems in this thread. I understand that some may wonder who zemkes_wolfpack is and why he is editing posts. He is the newest Moderator for the RCU Jet Forums (he was appointed after Ben stepped down). His intentions here were to keep this thread on track with the original topic it was started under. He's a good guy and learning the ropes of a very difficult job, so if he didn't dot all the "I's" and cross all the "T's" give him a bit of slack.

As for this thread. I totally understand that they may be a lot of history behind the development of this plane, and that is all well and good. But that's not what this thread is about. This thread is talking about the plane itself, how it flies, quality, etc... I ask that everybody respect that.

Thanks in advance.

Ken
Old 08-06-2008, 04:59 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

heheheh, and ken thought he was in the fire with the AMA forum to moderate<G>.

good luck dude.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:11 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

After doing some more research on this subject I have edited my post above. The history of this subject has been discussed ad nauseum and doesn't need to be brought up again. Therefore, I retracted what I said about starting another thread (yes, I have edited my post above to reflect that) isn't going to be allowed. I think that it's time to let that subject just die out as it's already been discussed to death. The rest of my post stands, let's keep the history out of this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Ken
Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ken, your change of heart IS INSULTING......... My .02. You should realize that simply discussing the topic does not violate any RCU Rules. Show me where I am wrong.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:19 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: RCKen

After doing some more research on this subject I have edited my post above. The history of this subject has been discussed ad nauseum and doesn't need to be brought up again. Therefore, I retracted what I said about starting another thread (yes, I have edited my post above to reflect that) isn't going to be allowed. I think that it's time to let that subject just die out as it's already been discussed to death. The rest of my post stands, let's keep the history out of this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Ken

Ken, how to fit an 8611 in a kangaroo has been discussed ad nauseaum, yet, I don't see you closing those threads down. Most people don't search, they just start reading, this is important information to newbies coming into this site. Just as important as "Hey, where can I get velcro" or "Hey should I buy a Ram engine". You guys don't close those threads down when 17 guys get in there and say Ram engines suck. You don't close them because IT'S THE TRUTH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.