Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What do you think about JETLEGEND L39?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What do you think about JETLEGEND L39?

Old 08-19-2019, 05:17 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Brian,

What is your take off flap setting now?
Old 08-19-2019, 06:53 AM
belb99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will measure up this weekend and post, but it's around 50mm down flap but will confirm.

my mate has the mark 1 version and it was interesting to note that the mark 1 has its nose leg mounted lower in the fuze so nose is higher up on his than mine.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:59 AM
joeflyer

Yes, I think Jet Legend screwed up. The nose strut needs to be at least 1/2 inch longer.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:34 PM
rcflier53
My Feedback: (7)

Maidened my BVM/JL L-39 this week, and my gosh it was a handful. First of all, the nose down is really tough to overcome on a grass strip with this particular nose gear. After a long takeoff roll, it jumped off the ground and almost stalled and snapped when it did finally get airborne. Secondly, it flew heavy and almost uncontrollable at times, like a high wing load warbird. I flew BVM’s demo L-39 plane and it was beautiful to fly! Not sure what’s going on with this particular airframe as it was set up exactly like theirs. After the flights, I made some changes to throws and expo, along with adding a spacer in the strut to stiffen the spring. Flew it again and it still can’t get off the grass very well. Did the jump into the air again, but luckily I was ready. 3rd flight, I made the mistake of adding smoke fluid and that increased the takeoff roll quite a bit and it flew even worse. Seems like the smoke tank is about 96oz or something. It’s huge and I only filled it 1/3-1/2 way. I am running a JC Cheetah, with an AS3000 gyro and the recommenced throws and expo. CG is almost exactly at the factory placement. I have purchased a CortexPro to replace that AS3000 as I’m not keen on it’s functionality in a Jet. Some people like it and others have felt it’s not really locked in as well a CortexPro. So, I’m willing to do whatever to get this model to fly well. Any tips or suggestions are welcomed. It’s a pretty airframe and the build quality is nice. Just not a great flier yet. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-20-2019, 12:08 AM
belb99

Had the same issues on grass as you, would not rotate and lift off smooth , I added spacer in the nose leg to stiffen it up, eventually kept putting more take off flap in and this helped it lift off better, I was going to try to fit weaker springs in the main legs to it sits down at the back more I'm sure this would help it no end.

unfortunately after 5 flights I add a high speed stall it recovered but clipped a tree and is totalled. I've ordered a replacement and intend to lengthen the nose leg this time and cut the fuze to allow wheel to retract.
hope you get the better of it as they are such a nice plane to fly, other than the high speed stall mine flew fine it was just the take off I think JL should have designed the angle of the plane to sit flat.

Brian
Old 10-20-2019, 03:02 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear springs are already soft, on tarmac there is no problem, on grass the nose leg is pulled back creating a negative incidence on the wing.

Cure is to use stiffer nose leg spring.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:27 AM
belb99

My friend has the early version and the main springs are a lot softer than my latest version was, even with a stiffer spring in the nose leg the plane still sits nose down and compresses the front leg on take off on grass and Tarmac , there is about 20mm difference in the height on the nose between the two models, his takes off smooth and just rotates easy were mine did not but as I said before more take off flap did help.
Old 10-20-2019, 04:14 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a slightly smaller L39, i find holding about half UP elevator makes the model track and rotate beautifully at about 3/4 power.

Last edited by Bob_B; 10-20-2019 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:21 AM
madmodelman

We're talking about the 1/5 JL one.
Brian, mine is the earlier version, isn't it possible to pack the nose leg to lower it?
I'm flying the larger FB one nowadays.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:38 AM
rcflier53

I’ll look into possibly installing softer main gear springs and adding an even stiffer nose gear spring. That with the increased takeoff flaps will hopefully make the T/O less eventful. Looking at the BVM video on the L-39, that plane looks to be almost perfectly level on the takeoff roll and eases into the sky. Granted that’s on a paved surface too. Thanks for some ideas guys!
Old 10-20-2019, 06:54 AM
madmodelman

Yes, good luck, I haven't got mine now, I would have liked to advise you on my cg.
Mine did fly very nicely.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:42 PM
rcflier53

Spent the whole afternoon working in the shop with my Xicoy CG calculator. I started over with all the CG setup and distance calculations. I double checked the factory marks and they match the manual spot on. I used those marks and the balance came out perfectly matched to those using the manual’s criteria. These are the weights I logged for different phases of flight based on fuel loads:

CG weight w/UAT full & 1/2 full header tank = 38.3 lbs
Takeoff full fuel (w/o smoke fluid) = 44.1 lbs
Takeoff full fuel with only 50oz smoke fluid = 46.4 lbs
Landing with 1/4 fuel load & no smoke fluid = 40.5 lbs

No wonder this thing dogs so bad on grass. 46+ lbs takeoff with 50oz of smoke fluid.

I also logged the CG change with adding fuel and smoke fluid. My location I chose for weight placement is the nose cone. Full fuel load and no smoke oil, causes the CG to shift forward enough, that the calculator says to remove 0.5 lbs from the nose cone. Add in the smoke fluid and it says to remove 0.6 lbs from the nose cone. At landing fuel load and no smoke fluid it was showing to remove 0.2 lbs from the nose. Not terrible by any means for all those scenarios.

I think I’m just shocked at the weights and trying to figure out how much overweight my bird is than everyone else. Or if I’m worried about it for no reason, and to just adjust takeoff flaps, and flying technique for the first few minutes of a flight.
Old 03-17-2020, 09:27 AM
belb99

Well it’s finally arrive No 2 she’s back, now to get finished and flown again.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:05 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is at 6.25 in. from leading edge at root.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 03-17-2020, 10:06 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

By the way, that's a very pretty paint scheme.

hmarmaizmd717
Old 03-18-2020, 02:42 PM
artchristic1

Originally Posted by blainer48
So I have read where guys installed aluminum tubes inside the carbon tubes on the G1 L-39 wings. Even Mike from GJC mentioned it in a post. Does anyone have pictures and what sized tube did you use to go inside the carbon tubes. Thanks in advance.

Jason
I used the regular house copper water tubing and it works fine. It will not change the C/G
Old 03-18-2020, 02:48 PM
artchristic1

Sounds about right 44 lbs full fuel.
I had 6.2 liters of fuel on board.
Flew like a dream.
Sold it though.
Will get another one some day.

Last edited by artchristic1; 03-18-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:48 PM
artchristic1

Originally Posted by rcflier53
Spent the whole afternoon working in the shop with my Xicoy CG calculator. I started over with all the CG setup and distance calculations. I double checked the factory marks and they match the manual spot on. I used those marks and the balance came out perfectly matched to those using the manual’s criteria. These are the weights I logged for different phases of flight based on fuel loads:

CG weight w/UAT full & 1/2 full header tank = 38.3 lbs
Takeoff full fuel (w/o smoke fluid) = 44.1 lbs
Takeoff full fuel with only 50oz smoke fluid = 46.4 lbs
Landing with 1/4 fuel load & no smoke fluid = 40.5 lbs

No wonder this thing dogs so bad on grass. 46+ lbs takeoff with 50oz of smoke fluid.

I also logged the CG change with adding fuel and smoke fluid. My location I chose for weight placement is the nose cone. Full fuel load and no smoke oil, causes the CG to shift forward enough, that the calculator says to remove 0.5 lbs from the nose cone. Add in the smoke fluid and it says to remove 0.6 lbs from the nose cone. At landing fuel load and no smoke fluid it was showing to remove 0.2 lbs from the nose. Not terrible by any means for all those scenarios.

I think I’m just shocked at the weights and trying to figure out how much overweight my bird is than everyone else. Or if I’m worried about it for no reason, and to just adjust takeoff flaps, and flying technique for the first few minutes of a flight.
Sounds about right 44 lbs full fuel.
I had 6.2 liters of fuel on board.
Flew like a dream.
Sold it thought.
Will get another one some day.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:52 PM
artchristic1

Check post 1829 if you want a nice smoke tank and 1802 for an extended range tank..

Last edited by artchristic1; 03-18-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:47 PM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Video of my L-39 at Titusville aiport in Pa Kingtech K170

Old 06-24-2020, 01:29 PM
rcflier53

Very nice!

What was your total weight with full fuel?
Old 06-24-2020, 03:27 PM
emart

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I honestly don't know I never weighed it
Old 06-25-2020, 07:32 AM
sidajili

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice flight. The L39 is always a joy to fly. Mine weighed 15kg dry. It has a K170 and a total of 5.4 liters.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:12 PM
rcflier53

Update: Had the incredible opportunity to have Rob from BVM fly my L-39 and give his input and his mastery of setup knowledge. He changed some stuff in the cortex pro and adjusted the landing gear springs. The jet takes off so much better from the grass with the new spring changes, and the cortex adjustments made the airplane fly SOOOO much better. I can’t wait to get more flights on this bird now!
Old 12-14-2020, 12:25 PM
joeflyer

This thread has been quiet for awhile, so I thought I'd share how I addressed my two major faults with this plane.

1) Canopy Hold Down
This mechanism is hokey at best. Four tabs have to be perfectly aligned and are engaged by four cones mounted on a CF rod. You release the mechanism by pulling on a cable that is attached to the rod. To hold the canopies down a weak spring engages the tabs. If one tab is misaligned it can cause the canopies to be loosely engaged.
On a friend's L-39 the cable pulled off the rod and there was no way too open it. It took over an hour and slight damage to the canopy to get it open. Consequently it couldn't fly that day.
On my L-39 apparently the tabs weren't full engaged and the rear canopy came off in flight. It took three months to get a replacement and by then flying season was over.

To address this situation I removed the cable, got a CF tube with a 2 mm. ID and epoxied it over the 2 mm. rod that contains the cones. The rod is now extended to the front access panel. I pull on the rod to release the mechanism, and more importantly now I can gently push it rearward to insure that all tabs are securely engaged.

2) Leaps Off Runway due to Negative Wing Incidence
It doesn't speak very well of Jet Legend to get wrong something so basic. In looking at numerous YouTube videos you can notice that some JL/BVM L-39's sit with a nose down attitude and tend to leap off the runway on take off. Others, along with competitive models (CARF, Fei Boa, Skymaster, etc.), sit more level and take off smoothly. My guess is that when JL came out with the Gen2 version the nose gear is mounted deeper into the fuse than on Gen1, and JL didn't want to spend the money for a new slightly longer nose strut.
I put in a stiffer nose spring and slightly more TO flap which helped slightly. I toyed with the idea of weaker main springs, however I was concerned that it would bottom out too easily if I bounced a landing. Finally I decided that a longer nose strut was required to remedy the situation. I wasn't able to find a suitable longer strut so I decided to extend the one I have.
I started with a 5/8" OD, 1/4" ID 3/4" long aluminum spacer. I removed the steering arm from the top of the strut, drilled and tapped the spacer to mount the steering arm there, then drilled and tapped set screws to attach it to the steering pin. Then I got a longer steering pin to attach it to the top of the strut.
The nose retract had to be mounted 1/2" rearward to accommodate the gear door. Then the opening behind the door had to be extended 1/2" and a new cover made.

Now the plane sits with zero wing incidence with no fuel onboard. I expect that it will have a slightly positive incidence with a full load of fuel. Now I'll have to wait until spring to see how well it takes off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.