Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Vintage Glow Ducted Fan forum

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Vintage Glow Ducted Fan forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 03:24 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You hit the nail on the head Kevin, they were definite memories, just not fond ones, HA!
Old 08-31-2017, 03:40 PM
roger.alli

Originally Posted by RickP
LOL,
Thanks guys. I didn't mean that I won't tinker, I just don't prefer it. I'd rather fool around on the bench and prepare as much as possible first so I minimize efforts at the field.

For me this is also a trip down memory lane and a nice distraction. I think the Mini F16 took 2 years from start to flight, and I'm still fooling with it. And cheap is right, not to add that I feel at this point in time that old stuff is still obtainable NIB and that won't last forever. Might not be able to do that in 10 - 20 years from now. I have a NIB Byron Originals F-16 I am planning on working on this winter.

Turbines? Yes I am sure one day but $10K on an airplane just seems ludicrous to me at the moment. Maybe when I grow up ;-)
Rick
Ahhh but tinkering is all part of the fun.
I think that nitro D/F is a great entry path into jets.. For sure it is challenging, but you learn stuff that you just can’t get from buying a $10K plug ‘n play.

Falcon is right though. You have been infected, and you will eventually end up with a turbine.. BTW, It can be done for much much less than $10K.

Your mini F16 looks very cool.. I love this kind of modelling.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:16 PM
jetmaven

The BVM parts were the key , a BV .91 or .96 , or an OS.91 , a BV pipe and the appropriate adaptor for the OS's ,
BV O rings , BV mixture control , BV pipe hangar , throw in a BV thrust tube w/ cooling cap because that worked .
Dont forget the BV conversion for Dynamax fans , BV starter probe . And lest we forget , the BV "pull out the glow plug
element just a bit" ( made for a great idle ) .
So what's the common thread here ? . Thanks Bob .
Old 09-01-2017, 03:03 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

My first jet was called a Hi tech 2000 from AMA plans in 1982. Attended the 2nd Annual Greater Southwest Ducted Fan Fly In (still the greatest event in the country) at Seguin, TX. Kress fan with OS 25. It flew! One of only about 5-7 jets that got airborne. The star of the show was Tom Cook with his F4 powered by 2 KB 45s. Went on to Jet Hanger Hobbies, Byron, Dynamax and BVM fans throughout the years. Lots of glow plugs, tuned pipe O rings and flame outs. But it was fun!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:27 AM
SECRET AGENT

Tom, I think I still have a VHS tape with your old d/f BVM F-86 on it, HA!

One thing nitro d/f will teach you is how to fly a jet with barely enough thrust to fly and nothing in reserve to get you out of trouble, HA! With turbines there isn't any fear of snapping the jet on the first turn after take off.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:28 AM
RickP
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tp777fo
The star of the show was Tom Cook with his F4 powered by 2 KB 45s.
You mean this?
https://youtu.be/IDE7cpmKj1U
Twin .65's...
Look at the fun they had!!!!
RP
Old 09-01-2017, 07:31 AM
SECRET AGENT

You ready for that turbine yet Rick? HA!
Old 09-01-2017, 07:45 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

You mean this?
That was a JMP Phantom but not Tom Cook in the video. It looked like B1Bob.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:53 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You mean this?
https://youtu.be/IDE7cpmKj1U
Twin .65's...
Look at the fun they had!!!!
RP
Bad example for DF inspiration! LOL
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 AM
RickP

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
You ready for that turbine yet Rick? HA!
You bet! but not quite yet!

You guys are giving me a hard time because I said I didn't want to tinker too much. Fair enough - but that's not quite what I meant!

We started this conversation because I was looking at a NIB Rossi 90. I've been looking for several months and they are hard to find, and I believe considered the pinnacle of performance in the early 90's so I wanted part of that. However, a lot of that "know how" has been lost to time I presume, rather than relearn all of that the hard way, it just might be simpler to go with a less powerful and more reliable OS 90. Still considering all options, comments welcome! It appears I can find both motors NIB at least for the immediate time being.

We will talk about a turbine next fall...

RP
Old 09-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbaker
That was a JMP Phantom but not Tom Cook in the video. It looked like B1Bob.
How many guys does it take to to screw down a Hatch...........BAHAHAHA..........
Old 09-01-2017, 08:33 AM
SECRET AGENT

Rick, we are all just having fun reminiscing about the "good(?) Old days" of ducted fans, mostly because they were such a pain, and now we have it sooooooooo much better with the reliability and simplicity of turbines.

We all tinker on our planes no matter what type of powerplant it has, but we normally do much less tinkering on our turbines compared to our old d/f jets.

Make sure you use proven equipment that has been suggested to you already, keep your plane crazy light (and simple) and you will have a much more enjoyable experience.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:02 AM
grbaker

How many guys does it take to to screw down a Hatch...........BAHAHAHA..........
Remember how fast the screws would vibrate out and disappear?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 AM
grbaker

Hopefully, my Grandson will be flying this one at the Greater SW next week. JMP Starfire IIb with Dynamax fan and OS .91.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0716141413.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	2230059  
Old 09-01-2017, 09:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I remember those days, the nitro jet guys and the nitro helicopter guys were always wrenching. If we had thier maintenance hours to flight hours ratio when i was in the Navy the entire maintenance dept would have been fired
Old 09-01-2017, 10:45 AM
RickP

Originally Posted by Terry Holston
Terry, they had to take it off three times LOL!!!

Originally Posted by SECRET AGENT
Rick, we are all just having fun reminiscing about the "good(?) Old days" of ducted fans, mostly because they were such a pain, and now we have it sooooooooo much better with the reliability and simplicity of turbines.

We all tinker on our planes no matter what type of powerplant it has, but we normally do much less tinkering on our turbines compared to our old d/f jets.

Make sure you use proven equipment that has been suggested to you already, keep your plane crazy light (and simple) and you will have a much more enjoyable experience.
Crazy light, that is going to be the trick. My track record with building is not good in this department. The finishes kill me - Filler prime and sand, never happy, do it again, not happy... maybe that's the point to this entire exercise....

Hopefully, my Grandson will be flying this one at the Greater SW next week. JMP Starfire IIb with Dynamax fan and OS .91.
grbaker, you mean there are other people still flying Nitro DF? What OS engine are you using? Is there a late model version with readily available parts?

Guys, much thanks. Still not sure. Rossi or OS....

RP
Old 09-01-2017, 11:02 AM
ECalderon

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys, much thanks. Still not sure. Rossi or OS....

RP
IMO, if you want to have a chance to be successfull, choose OS. But, the choice is yours.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:21 AM
RickP

Originally Posted by ECalderon
IMO, if you want to have a chance to be successfull, choose OS. But, the choice is yours.
Eduardo,
Understood. I'll study it some more this weekend and see if we find anything else. Thank you for your experience.
Regards,
Rick
Old 09-01-2017, 12:10 PM
grbaker

grbaker, you mean there are other people still flying Nitro DF? What OS engine are you using? Is there a late model version with readily available parts?
As far as I know, OS does not produce the .91 VRDF any more and parts are getting scarce. They only made one version, although you could get it with the small head or large, both were exactly the same motor. The only person I knew that could make a Rossi run reliably passed away a few years ago.

I have several brand new .91s and JMP System II tuned pipes along with 3 Dynamax fans. I built the Starfire for my grandson because he loves jets but he's not quite ready for a turbine. I have a JMP F-4 Phantom kit (Tom Cook) that I started working on many years ago but pushed aside for other projects. I am thinking about completing it with twin Dynamax and .91s as soon as I get a few other projects out of the way.

The main thing you have to worry about with ICDF is keeping it from going too lean. On a regular sport plane if the engine goes lean, it just dies with no damage to the motor. When an ICDF turning 25,000 RPM goes too lean, it dies but, it also causes major damage some time (not always...but can). Back in the day when we were trying to go as fast as we could, I have burned pistons/liners, ruined cylinder heads and broken connecting rods.

So an inflight needle is a must. I am partial to the JMP unit. I don't know if Tom still sells them or not. I have used the BVM unit also.
I use a 5% DF fuel with 23% oil. Make sure you can always see a smoke trail. If it starts going away, richen your inflight.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That's great! It's been a while since I have seen a Starfire.
On a side note, I remember in the mid-late 90's when someone would fire up a turbine at a "fan fly" all other activity on the field would cease, and all eyes would be on the turbine. I wonder if the rolls will be reversed if a OS.91 fires up at a "jet rally these days. I know I will be watching.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:40 PM
grbaker

I know I will be watching.
Just remember to bring your hearing protection if you're going to get a close look.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 AM
RickP

Performance like this would be great.

Nelson 91?

Rick
Old 09-03-2017, 08:29 AM
niteflyer

[QUOTE=Kevin_W;12364705]That's great! It's been a while since I have seen a Starfire.
On a side note, I remember in the mid-late 90's when someone would fire up a turbine at a "fan fly" all other activity on the field would cease, and all eyes would be on the turbine. I wonder if the rolls will be reversed if a OS.91 fires up at a "jet rally these days. I know I will be watching. [/QU
To answer that question, a resounding yes! Because as stated earlier, most all jet guys had a D/F jet at one time or another. I haven't got
up enough energy to get out the BVM Viper this year but last year it was a hoot at the jet event.............
Old 09-03-2017, 09:54 AM
Jamie C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Performance like this would be great.

Nelson 91?

https://youtu.be/5YSlq3RYXJY

Rick
Definitely a Nelson 91R in that Viper, he describes the install at the end of the flight. I love that video, restoring one myself, have a few IC DF's in the queue to do.

Last edited by Jamie C; 09-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 PM
roger.alli

That particular Viper is way more than 20 years old.. It belongs to a friend of mine. One of the survivors .It still gets an airing every now and then, and still makes my spine tingle. There is nothing like he sound of a Nelson 91R coming down hill flat out.. It performs better than probably 95% of the turbines. It is very small though, and you need to be on your game. But the owner is a pro..

BTW, The Nelson BVM 91 was undeniably the strongest AND most reliable of all the D/F engines..

New Zealand, 1995
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_153153.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	2230446  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.