Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kougar Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kougar Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 11:23 AM
bayareajeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig Kougar Build

Very nice... Very cool.

J
Old 06-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jeff, thanks for the correction. I looked up the Canadian Ensign Flag. Still great colour scheme. Might have to copy it on my Sig Kobra.
ORIGINAL: racingjeff1

Hi Jim,

Not exactly its the Canadian Red Ensign flag not Manitoba Provincial. I made all the markings, the "Z" stripes are monocote and pinstripe tape, all the panel lines are taped. The RCAF roundels and leafs are trim sheet cut out by hand, the aluminum edge is aluminum tape, the fin flash is monocote, the dayglo red wing tips underneath are trim sheet, all the other markings I made using Photoshop and printed out on decal paper.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:46 PM
HeliTB

rc_heli_flier...I first thought you cut the picture off the box. Excellent job. My Kougar flies awesome, it just maybe my favorite. Where did you get the simluated struts?
Old 06-14-2008, 01:48 PM
rc_heli_flier
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: HeliTB

rc_heli_flier...I first thought you cut the picture off the box. Excellent job. My Kougar flies awesome, it just maybe my favorite. Where did you get the simluated struts?
Thanks for the compliments. The gear strut covers are from Robart. Tower sells them here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET62&P=7

I used a few strips of aluminum tape to simulate the shiny movable part of the strut. I also hope that the spinner lasts for a long time. It's from Tru-Turn and is cut to fit the APC prop and of course anodized red to match the color scheme - not cheap.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:58 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's mine now finished. For power it has a Scorpion 3026-10 outrunner and 10X7 APCE prop on 5S Lipos. Measured nearly 900 W at just under 60 A with a calculated pitch speed of 93MPH.
I may change the landing gear to Robostruts but it's EXPENSIVE!
Question: Is the nose gear lifting the front of the plane too high?
Anyway waiting for the maiden flight, which may be tomorrow in front of throngs of onlookers as it is the clubs annual Father's Day Fun Fly. Will I make a fool of myself?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24910.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	970485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58509.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	970486  
Old 06-14-2008, 07:10 PM
racingjeff1

Nice job. Have you bench tested your power setup to make sure there are no issues?

It may just be your big nose wheel, I used a smaller nose and smaller mains, looked more scale correct. I had those plastic strut covers too, but the rough dirt runway beat them up and I took them off, would be nice to have those and the landing gear door covers as well and fly from pavement.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:21 PM
jollyroger

jeff, I could use a smaller wheel and may have one in my stock. I'll check tonight. Thanks for the tip. Yes it does run very well, almost scary as the prop literally sings.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:09 PM
racingjeff1

Yup, I know electric setups have tons of power and its instant. Really is the perfect power system for R/C airplanes. I have two friends now going 18v and 22v, now possible due to hobbycity LiPo prices. I am waiting a little longer to go A123. Come on, 100C outputs !

I have found a couple of ESC problems bench testing my combos. I really like the piece of mind after this is done that the system I install works the way it is supposed to so there are no surprises.
BTW, make yourself a wheel or flat "prop" that has a black mark then point your rpm meter at it, get the rpm then divide your input BV, you will find that almost every motor advertised rpm/kv is wrong. I have done a whole lot of testing and what you would think is the correct motor choice could be down a lot of power becasue the actual kv is more than 10% lower than what the sticker says.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:14 PM
racingjeff1

ORIGINAL: jollyroger

jeff, I could use a smaller wheel and may have one in my stock. I'll check tonight. Thanks for the tip. Yes it does run very well, almost scary as the prop literally sings.
I just measured, I have a 55mm nose and still have the 70mm mains. I did purchase 60mm mains but have not yet switched them because I painted the hubs all aluminum and don't want to bother with painting more right now. I am using hobbycity lightweight foam wheels, they are about $2.00 each and weight about .35 oz each
Old 06-14-2008, 09:27 PM
squeakalong

Jollyroger...where is your field located at ref. the annual Father's Day Fun Fly? I'm in Interlochen and just might drive over to enjoy the day with you folks. Joe
Old 06-15-2008, 07:06 AM
jollyroger

Sqeakalong, PM'd you
Old 06-15-2008, 07:27 AM
jollyroger

I may have to order a set of 2" wheels. I'm using Robart scale diamond tread, so they won't be cheap, but it may just do the trick as the ones I'm using now are 2 1/2" . I really don't want to go through the hassle of buying a new set of strut covers and rebending another nose gear. If I end up doing so, I won't use the offset strut....it'll make that part easier.
As far as motor KV, I agree, especially when it comes to the Chinese mfgs. Such companies as Hacker, Scorpion do maintain tighter control over the process. When it comes to the European mfgs, there specs are very close to stated. Axi, Plettenburg, Kohler-Actro and Hacker are very good at making motors with tight specs. There may be a difference, but not way off as Ken Myers (The Ampeer) has tested with Chinese motors.
That being said, I will make some more measurements with this Scorpion motor. This is a Chinese made motor, however, the owner is from Germany or wherever and in all likelihood, keep tighter control over the motor windings.
Cheers
Old 06-15-2008, 08:22 AM
squeakalong

Thanks, John...answered your PM. Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-16-2008, 07:38 AM
rc_heli_flier
My Feedback: (12)

Well, My Kougar had it's maiden flight last evening! Very smooth first flight, not even one click of trim needed (I'm very meticulous with my building). Anyway, here's a shot of it and me right before that first takeoff.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42222.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	971610  
Old 06-16-2008, 09:07 AM
squeakalong

Nice looking Kougar, re heli flyer, especially like your tail idea. Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-23-2008, 10:08 PM
ztate

I bought a second hand Sig Kougar. Where does it balance?
Old 06-24-2008, 04:33 AM
jollyroger

ORIGINAL: ztate

I bought a second hand Sig Kougar. Where does it balance?
The balance point is located anywhere between the leading edge at the wingtip and 1/2" back from the leading edge at the wingtip. Which means you need to string a line from wingtip to wingtip and measure back from there at the wing center 1/2" for sport flying and no further than 3/4" if needed.
I was going to maiden mine last Sunday as the wind was at 5mph but the weeds at our field are out of control and the mower is out of comission anyway. [:@]
cheers
Old 06-24-2008, 08:00 AM
squeakalong

Hey, John, no excuses now... ! With your field out in the country setting like it is tell Mike to get a couple of sheep or goats to help out with the grass..well, maybe that's not such a good idea 'cause natural hazards and small wheels would be real interesting...

Say hello to Steve and Mike for me and let us know how your flight goes. I'm ordering a Kougar and will put my O.S. 46 AX on it. Should be fun!!

Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-24-2008, 11:33 AM
HeliTB

sqeakalong...My Kougar with 46 AX is an awesome plane. All the guys at my local flying field rave about how good my plane flies. It was my first kit build. It turned out really well. I posted quite few pictures of my build in this forum.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:57 PM
squeakalong

...And that's a nice looking Kougar you have there Heli...watch out though....might end up looking like a Sabre with that .46 AX Enjoy!!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM
jollyroger

Joe, that's a good idea. Then we can have a BBQ at the end of the season. Yer invited
The mower is still down waiting for new blades and starter ignition switch. Who knows when that will be in.
Come on over whenever you get the chance. Looks like next weekend will be a washout.
BTW did you get over to the TRAMPS fly-in Saturday? I should have let you know I was going. If you were there, you may have seen me...I was wearing a white BALSA USA hat and carrying a camera.
cheers
Old 06-25-2008, 08:59 AM
squeakalong

Hi, John...I'm all for the BBQ!!!! Went to the TRAMPS show Saturday and Sunday. REALLY liked that B-25 and the 1/5 P-47. Course, the P-61 was nice, and the C-130, and the USCG Chopper, and that REALLY NICE PT-17 (Heard he worked on that over a 13 year period..how about that fabric finish and the radial engine????) My wife liked the GP Gee Bee R-1 ARF...actually suggested I should look into that [X(] [8D]! The F-4 Phantom jet on Sunday was the highlight though. WOW!!!

Would have enjoyed meeting you had I known you were there. Darn it all...we need some "old fart" coordination here (at least for me).

Soft landings. Joe
Old 06-28-2008, 04:37 AM
jbj1052

I have had may kougar for some time and about 40% done but over the years of moving I have lost the manual [&o] and I would like to finish her now if someone has one it would be great have been flowing the build and you guys are the best thank's
Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 AM
jollyroger

call Sig. the manual is only a few bucks. I do have an extra, but the center pages that include drawings are missing. Otherwise all the build instructions are intact. let me know if you want it. I could make copies of the drawings for you if you want.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:05 AM
jbj1052

Thanks jollyroger that would be great [sm=thumbs_up.gif] yes the drawings would help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.