Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

JC P-80SE WOn't accelerate in Hot Weather!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

JC P-80SE WOn't accelerate in Hot Weather!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry JC P-80SE WOn't accelerate in Hot Weather!!!!

I have a Jet Cat P-80SE, that won't accelerate when I go to full throttle. It pops and snaps but won't accelerate when the temperature is above 95º and the humidity is high. This turbine just got back from the service
center last fall and has 17 flights on it. Anyone have any suggestion on what I should look for?

Thanks,
Larry /Instructor
Old 07-26-2019, 09:23 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

What acceleration setting in the Turbine Limits? Make it Normal.
What model/tailpipe type?
Old 07-27-2019, 08:01 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Set it to very slow and normal try that first. The motors are typically set to normal and fast or maybe your motor is fast fast who knows??
Old 07-27-2019, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vincent
Set it to very slow and normal try that first. The motors are typically set to normal and fast or maybe your motor is fast fast who knows??
To answer both replies, the type of plane is a Ziroli Turbinator, no tailpipe. The setting was set to fast and I set it to normal. It still did the same thing. I didn't try slow The weather here is in the high 80's now but if I have another problem, I will set it to slow. Do I have to select any of the buttons to save that setting?

Thanks
Larry/Instructor

Last edited by Instructor; 07-27-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Vincent

no other buttons to push.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

no other buttons to push.
Thank you Vincent. I will keep you updated on the setting results when the weather gets hotter than 95º with high humidity again. Keep them flying...

Larry/Instructor
Old 07-28-2019, 08:15 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

A few years back a number of us went to an event in Cayley Alberta (Canada). We were used to flying at near sea level and Cayley is about 3500'asl as I recall. Early in the day when it was only around 75F we didn't really notice much difference with the engines, as the day rolled on and we approached 100F we started seeing engines that would "hang" at idle. I had a G Booster 160+ that did this, there were a number of Jetcats that did it, and a couple of other brands. Even my trusty old AMT Pegasus did the same thing. We found that if we were just slower moving the throttle stick they would accelerate. Not ideal but it worked. It changes the density altitude, I can't remember what it was exactly but the number 6600'asl for the temps and humidity sticks out in my mind for some reason. Next day when it was cooler in the morning the problems went away again. Then as it heated up they reappeared. Wouldn't have thought it would make that much of a difference but it sure did.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:52 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

One thing is for sure, past 90° even at SL flying turbines is not fun, way too hot for both, humans and machines.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:22 PM
Vincent

My club field in colo is at 5900ft. Throw in a little hot weather and you have some serious density altitude.I set my jetcats to very slow and normal and they run fine just have to wait a little for spool up.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

My club field in colo is at 5900ft. Throw in a little hot weather and you have some serious density altitude.I set my jetcats to very slow and normal and they run fine just have to wait a little for spool up.
Hi Vincent,

Thanks for all the advice. I set my throttle response to normal and flew it this weekend. The temp was cooler so I didn't have any problems. If I have this problem again, I will set it to slow.

Larry/Instructor
Old 08-10-2019, 10:25 AM
Star-1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a P80SE in a boomerang and I have flown it in 100 degrees weather in Hollister California and I had no issues with the turbine. I will say I typical only throttle up 1/4 of the stick when starting to take off and 20 feet later I go to full throttle. The airliners do the same thing on take off, but that is mainly for FOD issues. Remember turbines have a power curve that resembles an expo curve when going from idle to actual useable power.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Star-1
I have a P80SE in a boomerang and I have flown it in 100 degrees weather in Hollister California and I had no issues with the turbine. I will say I typical only throttle up 1/4 of the stick when starting to take off and 20 feet later I go to full throttle. The airliners do the same thing on take off, but that is mainly for FOD issues. Remember turbines have a power curve that resembles an expo curve when going from idle to actual useable power.
Thanks for the information, but the problem I was having was , it wouldn't even accelerate to 1/4 throttle. it would pulse and make a snapping sound. If I let it sit at idle for 90 seconds, then it would accelerate. The weather here has been in the low 80's and so far I haven't had a problem. Going to fly it tomorrow and see if it is still OK.

Larry/Instructor
Old 08-10-2019, 05:38 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"sit at idle for 90 seconds, then it would accelerate." That actually sounds more like a Learn Low problem usually caused by the pump not producing a stable idle rpm for the ECU to pass control to the receiver. Watch the rpm on the GSU to see how stable it is after start. I've seen not so good pumps do +/- a couple thousand rpm. Once the ECU has decided idle is stabilized it will give the green Ok led on the GSU or I/O board which says you have control. On a P-80 the pops or snaps are tiny fuel droplets from the fuel needles "exploding". Pretty common.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:18 AM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

I have the same problem with my p60se propane start. I have it set to very slow and it still does it. Most of the summer here has been hot so it’s been annoying, at times can’t use it, and have had some dead stick
landings also.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:40 AM
smoknrv4

Are there any other parameters besides "throttle ramp up speed", that can be changed to run better in hotter temps when accelerating??
thanks!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:22 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Please look at pump pressures. If the pump pressure is at or close to maximum voltage, the fuel system is clogged or pump is bad. We fly in 90+ wx in Florida, or you don’t fly. I was having slow acceleration and a couple flame outs. The fuel pump was the issue. I replaced the fuel pump after making sure that the fuel system was clean and flowing well. Just by changing the UAT bag, and a clunk filter, the voltage dropped below maximum. Replaced the fuel pump and haven’t had a issue. The weakness of the pump shows up in higher temperature.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 09-09-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:44 AM
smoknrv4

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
Please look at pump pressures. If the pump pressure is at or close to maximum voltage, the fuel system is clogged or pump is bad. We fly in 90+ wx in Florida, or you don’t fly. I was having slow acceleration and a couple flame outs. The fuel pump was the issue. I replaced the fuel pump after making sure that the fuel system was clean and flowing well. Just by changing the UAT bag, and a clunk filter, the voltage dropped below maximum. Replaced the fuel pump and haven’t had a issue. The weakness of the pump shows up in higher temperature.
Awesome thanks! What is the pumps max voltage?
Really appreciate the help here, I will look into this issue.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:20 AM
RCFlyerDan

I don’t have an 80, so go to your Min/Max menu. Under fuel pump maximum increase the voltage to as high as it will allow you. It may already be there. Then go to your Run Menu to look at current or last fuel pump voltage. If they are the same or close, check the fuel system first, since it is the cheapest fix. Do a new run to 100% thrust for a couple minutes. If you replaced the UAT bag and other filters, then the fuel pump has to have time to adjust for the new fuel flow resistance. Voltage still high, swap a spare pump out to see if the issue went away. If you don’t have a pump in stock, maybe a buddy has one to try before buying one. But, I am almost certain that this is the issue.

Last edited by RCFlyerDan; 09-10-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:59 AM
CARS II

I use this spray cleaner to clean the filters and UAT bags ( replace the Teflon type on it ), it is plastic safe, find it a Home D.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 AM
smoknrv4

Its actually a P60se that I have.
Thanks again guys!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 AM
CARS II

So do I.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 PM
RCFlyerDan

Keep us posted.
Old 06-29-2022, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Hi Everyone, and thanks for your advice. I recently run into this same problem again, high humidity and high temp. The idle setting was set to normal and so was the throttle response. I have set the Idle to slow and the throttle response to normal. Right now, the turbine runs great, but the weather is cool again, so I have to wait till we have a high humid day again..

Larry
Old 06-29-2022, 01:03 PM
CARS II

Thank you for posting, let us know what you find out ( at least, I want to know 😀 )
Old 08-21-2022, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
I am still having problems with my P-80SE not ramming up during high humidity. I tried it today and I noticed the full pump voltage at full throttle was only 1.13 volts. I have been told if there is a restriction or the pump is bad, the voltage will be high. What causes a low pump voltage reading?

thanks,
Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.