Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Glow engine hesitates on exceleration??

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Glow engine hesitates on exceleration??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:22 PM
poeman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Glow engine hesitates on exceleration??

I have a older Evolution 61 that I have brought out of mothballs and have run a few tanks of fuel through it and it doesn't transition well from idle to full throttle, it has some hesitation in the process. What is causing this? I have run a couple of K&B 65 Sprotsters on the stand and they are instantly up to full speed with no delay...?? What it going on? Leaking O-ring on carb?
Gary in Texas
Old 10-23-2018, 02:59 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Normally the idle needle should be leaned out when that happens. Maybe an 1/8th turn at a time. If it bogs and dies quickly, then it is too lean. Just the basic guideline. If you are aware of this and have gone through it, then there may be other solutions like hotter plugs, or whatever... before assuming air leaks. I often put my finger over the carb or muffler to force fuel through the carb when it is running to clear out years worth of dirt.

Last edited by aspeed; 10-23-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:59 PM
poeman1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the response aspeed. It is appreciated. Info I have have gained points to the low speed settings as the problem.
Poeman
Texas
Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most engines come from the factory with a rich setting on the idle mixture which may be the cause of your hesitation. Run your engine at full throttle and then go to idle. Pinch the fuel tube to the carb with some needle nose pliers to cut off the fuel at idle. It will likely run for a long time before dying if the idle mixture is too rich. I lean the idle mixture on my OS 46AX engines until they run about 5-6 seconds before they start to speed up and die.

When doing the idle pinch test, the idle mixture is too lean if the engine dies right away. When doing the pinch tests, don't forget to go to full throttle often to clear the crankcase of fuel that may build up. Good luck!