Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

The Tiger Tails????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:29 PM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default RE: The Tiger Tails????

There have been some excellent construction videos made over the past 2 decades. Bob Noll produced some excellent work - several topics were covered. I think there were some others as well. Mostly only advertised in the K-Factor which has a very limited readership. I'll have to check my library.

As for the piped, retract equipped pattern ships appearing on the SPA website, just enjoy the irony!

-Will
Old 12-07-2010, 07:48 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Will,

I'd be interested in learning about any information you may have on that front.

TIA, David.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:42 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: PatternPilot

Brian, all

If anyone wants to shoot video or interviews of these guys we would be more than happy to post them on the CPA site and also get them into a CPA newsletter..

Still looking for some help on the newsletter as we have one person so far.

sorry to hijack the thread.scott

Scott-

Feel free to post anything that you may want or need to share on any of my threads. Your help is HIGHLY valued.

Besides, it does address an issue that I raised.

Also, I'll be in touch with a pm about another item raised in another thread as soon as I can word it properly.

As for the piped, retract equipped pattern ships appearing on the SPA website, just enjoy the irony!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 AM
PatternPilot
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

Thanks...looking forward to seeing your PM.. or email direct to [email protected]

scott
Old 12-11-2010, 07:23 AM
hook57
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

You folks out east and southeast are blessed to have such involvment in SPA and CPA events.
I wish there were SPA or CPA action in the East. .....

BTW - I've got an Southern R/C Alley Cat (.40-size TT) kit for that someday build.

FB
FB, meant to post a few days ago, but if you ever decide to let that Alley Cat out of the house, I'd surely like first dibs on finding her! Had one in the seventies, loved it (not a P-8 prices though!)

Mark
Old 12-11-2010, 08:15 PM
rv7driver
My Feedback: (105)

I thought the Bob Cat was the 40 size Tiger Tail?I could be wrong. Pete
Old 12-12-2010, 06:35 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: rv7driver

I thought the Bob Cat was the 40 size Tiger Tail?I could be wrong. Pete
That it is (was), the Alley Cat was a sport plane/pattern trainer; a good solid flyer.

hook
Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM
Tim Redelman
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Mark "HOOK" us up with some build pictures! LOL!

Tim
Old 12-13-2010, 06:22 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you build from the plans from Scratchbuilderswarehouse.com? I know the name of the website should answer that, but I was not sure if the plans were from the kit versions or the original Chidgey design plans. I would love to build a Bobcat. My dad build built one waaaayyy back it died on one of the first flights, if not the first due to radio failure. I would like to build him another using modern stuff.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:33 AM
rv7driver

Jeff I can only answer your question about the tiger tail 4S Ron offers, yes all the formers and wing templates are on the plans. Go to his web sight and email Ron, he will respond in about 24 hours. hope this helps. Pete
Old 12-13-2010, 08:05 AM
JeffH

That is exactly what I did. I will let everyone know what Mr. Chidgey says. One of these days I really need to build my NIB TT III kit.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
proparc

Does anyone have any video of a Tiger Tail flying?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:25 AM
edwarda10pilot

RCDENT:
Thanks for posting the photos of the planes we flew that weekend. I enjoyed the company and the flying. Your TT3 with the Rossi is no slouch. It can out run my Tipo and P-7 but I think our TT's side by side would be a draw on the speed gun.

David (Doxilla):

the photos that RCDENT posted were at one of our flying fields in San Antonio TX area. The Tipo is mine. I got it at a swap meet a few years ago and refinished it. I took some of the ideas for the paint scheme from a photo I had of Steve Helms Aurora from a contest in Lancaster CA. in 1987. My Tipo had been crashed previously and the fuse had been broken in two places so it is rather heavy (about 8.5 lbs). I have an OS 61SF on it with a Macs header and pipe. It flies OK but since it is heavy it runs out of energy quickly on the verticals. Engine is turning 12.5 K with an APC 11X8. Need to work on the pipe length and prop but haven't done so yet. I also have one of the H9 P-7's with a YS 60 SR (side exhaust) It runs well but again more work on pipe length and prop. It flies better than my Tipo but it is also about 1 lb lighter. The last plane in my CPA inventory (that is built) is the Ron Chidgey TT4 that RCDENT posted the photo of. After flying all three planes on the same day I have to confess that the TT4 is the best flying of the group (probably because Ron built it and it has not been crashed). It is a rocket with the Webra 61 rear exhaust on a pipe and the Top Flite Super M 11X7 3/4" prop. I didn't tac it but the engine really runs well. I find that Ron's TT4 is very light (about 7 lbs and his construction is impeccable). If you can find the construction article he did on the Tiger Tail (I believe it was Model Airplane News in 1972 and it may be at CASniffers pattern site), he details his construction method and I have to confess that the wing alone is much lighter than either my Tipo or my P-7 and the finish is simply great (even though this plane was built 30 years ago).

JeffH:
As rv7driver says, check Ron's website. I have had the pleasure fo talking with Ron a couple of time with him regarding the TT series and he is great to talk to. He will take whatever amount of time you need to help you. I will order a set of the TT$ plans and build another plane so I can put my current TT4 on the shelf.

Ed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60588.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1534460  
Old 12-15-2010, 08:34 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: Tim Redelman

Tim

Now that's a pretty good one Tim, but you know I can't build and hold the camera though, any suggestions?
On second thought…… <o></o>

<o></o>

Okay, I'll see what I can do for you pal.

hook

Old 12-15-2010, 08:36 AM
hook57

ORIGINAL: JeffH

That is exactly what I did. I will let everyone know what Mr. Chidgey says. One of these days I really need to build my NIB TT III kit.
Or donate to my charitable Tiger Tail Foundation Jeff........!

hook
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
hook57

Ooops, double post...

Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 AM
JeffH

LOL, I have my own foundation. I found this TT III and a NIB Bootlegger kit for less than the cost of a new P7 ARF.....

no, the bootlegger is not for sale either.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 PM
proparc

ORIGINAL: Ilikebipes

ORIGINAL: rv7driver

Brain go to www.seniorpattern.com and scroll down to streaming videos and watch the 7th world championship has Ron Chidgey Phil Kraft and more great videos! Pete

Oh Yah!!!! I have been there MANY times. I watch this often, and quite frankly, this was part of what was behind my comment.

Brian
Thanks for that amazing hookup. The video was fantastic!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:56 PM
hook57

ORIGINAL: JeffH

LOL, I have my own foundation. I found this TT III and a NIB Bootlegger kit for less than the cost of a new P7 ARF.....

no, the bootlegger is not for sale either.
No sh*** Jeff! That'd be the Mother lode for me!

hook

Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
hook57

ORIGINAL: Tim Redelman

Tim
For you Tim-Man!

Not sure how they'll post, but absolutely no comments on the polaroid!

hook
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43814.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1534646   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay73798.jpg
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	1534647   Click image for larger version

Name:	fd90829.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1534648   Click image for larger version

Name:	ki20488.jpg
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1534649   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs55620.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	1534650  
Old 12-15-2010, 05:23 PM
rv7driver

Ed, sweet Tipo!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 05:43 PM
pitstop000
My Feedback: (26)

Looking Good Hook!
Old 12-15-2010, 06:04 PM
stuntflyr

Dude,
We all looked like that.
Chris...
Old 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM
rv7driver

Hook, thats really sweet!!!! Pete
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM
doxilia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: edwarda10pilot
David (Doxilia):

the photos that RCDENT posted were at one of our flying fields in San Antonio TX area. The Tipo is mine. I got it at a swap meet a few years ago and refinished it. I took some of the ideas for the paint scheme from a photo I had of Steve Helms Aurora from a contest in Lancaster CA. in 1987. My Tipo had been crashed previously and the fuse had been broken in two places so it is rather heavy (about 8.5 lbs). I have an OS 61SF on it with a Macs header and pipe. It flies OK but since it is heavy it runs out of energy quickly on the verticals. Engine is turning 12.5 K with an APC 11X8. Need to work on the pipe length and prop but haven't done so yet. I also have one of the H9 P-7's with a YS 60 SR (side exhaust) It runs well but again more work on pipe length and prop. It flies better than my Tipo but it is also about 1 lb lighter. The last plane in my CPA inventory (that is built) is the Ron Chidgey TT4 that RCDENT posted the photo of. After flying all three planes on the same day I have to confess that the TT4 is the best flying of the group (probably because Ron built it and it has not been crashed). It is a rocket with the Webra 61 rear exhaust on a pipe and the Top Flite Super M 11X7 3/4'' prop. I didn't tac it but the engine really runs well. I find that Ron's TT4 is very light (about 7 lbs and his construction is impeccable). If you can find the construction article he did on the Tiger Tail (I believe it was Model Airplane News in 1972 and it may be at CASniffers pattern site), he details his construction method and I have to confess that the wing alone is much lighter than either my Tipo or my P-7 and the finish is simply great (even though this plane was built 30 years ago).

Ed
Hi Ed,

thanks for the great rundown of your CPA ships. I have not read Ron's TT4 article but the more I read posts on this design the more I feel like building one - I took a quick look at his kit and it looks very nicely designed and cut. The building, well, that would be in my hands so can't comment - I'm sure Ron's skills are bar none. I recently acquired a Webra RE blackhead with a Dynamix carb. I've always wanted a European RE classic (technically I'd like a Rossi or an OPS RE but the Webra will do) and being non pumped, the ideal model configuration for this engine would be upright - that's how I'd like to use it. So now it's a matter of choosing a nice design that would suite it well. A few that come to mind would be a TT4, an Escape, a Deception or an Arrow. The first two strike me as the best choices given that one day I should have smaller 45 sized versions of the last two.

Nice Tipo though!

David.

P.S. I haven't had a chance to work on the SM2 further but hopefully should be able to before the year's out. Are you planning to build one this winter? What scale?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.