Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else noticed , , ,

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Has anyone else noticed , , ,

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:30 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Has anyone else noticed , , ,

Just how thin the magazine (Model Aviation , of course) has been lately ?

Last month's was thin but I think this newest (October 2018) is even thinner .......
Old 09-26-2018, 11:55 AM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

There's been so much attention drawn to them that there's not too much they can put in there without being ridiculed one way or another. Or did you mean you wanted more content actually related to the building and flying of model aircraft?

Last edited by Tipover; 09-26-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:04 PM
speed20
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All paper publications are getting that way
Old 09-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Stickslammer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish it was still an option.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a quick comparison to a mag from a little over a year ago. It’s thinner because they don’t have as many paid advertisers.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:38 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm surprised it's still published.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:01 PM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there's this new thing called the "internet" that has chipped away at the size of a lot of the hobby and sport magazines and just about obliterated the brick and mortar hobby shops, all over the world !.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:16 PM
jcmors

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by r ward
there's this new thing called the "internet" that has chipped away at the size of a lot of the hobby and sport magazines and just about obliterated the brick and mortar hobby shops, all over the world !.
internet??? What is this internet of which you speak? Is it that network of pneumatic tubes I once heard about?
Old 09-30-2018, 06:02 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jcmors
internet??? What is this internet of which you speak? Is it that network of pneumatic tubes I once heard about?
It's Al Gore's invention.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:35 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I did a quick comparison to a mag from a little over a year ago. It’s thinner because they don’t have as many paid advertisers.
And to continue the shrinking magazine discussion , the November 2018 edition just showed up , all 136 pages of it . Bit by bit it appears to be shrinking more into a newsletter than a magazine , which is OK with me as long as the smaller magazine is actually costing us less to produce .
I don't keep my old magazines , I leave them in Doctor's offices and other such places for other people to read . If anyone reading has some old M.A. magazines around I'd be curious what the page count was on the magazines a few years ago , today's M.A. feels half as thin to me as I recall the ones of a few years ago .

Last edited by init4fun; 10-23-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:40 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Could fewer manufacturers have anything to do with that? The hobby overall is shrinking , it does not take a brain surgeon to see this. Of course you will claim that 700,000 MR owners are part of the hobby. On this we will disagree. IMO most of those were purchased as a camera platform where the owners actual hobby is photography. And a fair share of those were flown a few times and put away. I would be surprised if the FAA registration numbers didn’t decline over the next few years as the newness of the MR fades.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:57 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

Could fewer manufacturers have anything to do with that? The hobby overall is shrinking , it does not take a brain surgeon to see this. Of course you will claim that 700,000 MR owners are part of the hobby. On this we will disagree. IMO most of those were purchased as a camera platform where the owners actual hobby is photography. And a fair share of those were flown a few times and put away. I would be surprised if the FAA registration numbers didn’t decline over the next few years as the newness of the MR fades.
And yet 26% of AMA spending goes to the black hole that is the magazine. Stick a fork in it, cut staff, and harvest savings to enable dues deduction.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:52 PM
fliers1

Speaking of interest of the MR fading, I've spoken to at least a half dozen MR flyers at the flying field who have, but don't fly their quad copters anymore. Their wonder machines and just sitting in the corner collecting dust. Some quit MR flying after I gave lessons on my LT-40. They said that flying fixed wing was much more challenging and exciting than flying quad copters. I guess I brought them out from the dark side of the force. lol
Old 10-23-2018, 02:26 PM
speedracerntrixie

And yet 26% of AMA spending goes to the black hole that is the magazine. Stick a fork in it, cut staff, and harvest savings to enable dues deduction.

I actually can agree with that. For the past couple of years I usually take 10 minutes to skim through the mag and then it hits the garbage can. I grew up reading construction and competition articles in MA, RCM, Flying Models and Model Builder. I don’t like the magazines that are mainly advertising and ARF reviews that all claim how great the airplane flies when anyone with any experience can clearly see the thing is a pig.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:43 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

putting lipstick on pigs is a time honored tradition in the advertising world...
Old 10-23-2018, 04:18 PM
speedracerntrixie

Very true. I'm sure it's somewhat different from when I wrote a helicopter column in a small SF based R/C magazine. When I did a review the final copy had to be approved by the manufacturer. I was a little different in that if I encountered an issue I would discuss the issue with the manufacturer and would publish the solution within the article. Most times the manufacturer would implement a fix prior to the review being published. I imagine these days distributors such as Horizon will contract a Chinese company to build a certain model and have to commit to a certain number. Some end up being duds and are discontinued at the end of the first run.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:56 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the market is simply changing,.... magazines have to cater to what sells for their security. advertising ARFs and drones is where the money and the interest lies these days. it is true that manufacturers are dwindling, the whole scope of computer aided design is geared towards universal similarity in design and manufacturing process, so there is less source for funding the magazine, forcing the AMA to drain the coffers to keep it in the mailboxes.
I figure it won't be long before the AMA goes online magazine only.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:07 AM
speedracerntrixie

I imagine there is a certain set of guys who will always prefer a hard copy. I am also a member of NSRCA and they have an option to get a hard copy of their magazine/newsletter at an additional cost to their base 40.00 annual membership. AMA doing the same may be a way of saving money or the reduction of printing volume may drive up the printing costs per copy. For all we know it may have been something they checked into already.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:41 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by r ward
"it is true that manufacturers are dwindling, the whole scope of computer aided design is geared towards universal similarity in design and manufacturing process, so there is less source for funding the magazine, forcing the AMA to drain the coffers to keep it in the mailboxes (emphasis added)."
Have to log in, but read July 2018 EC minutes, section 5 specifically (CFO) to get an idea of the warnings being given to the EC.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/execut...018-ec-minutes
Old 10-25-2018, 05:25 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Yeah,, maybe they realize the AMA rag is a bad investment, I haven't read it in years
Yes Franklin , when this is the sentiment of the average AMA member concerning the magazine maybe it is time to cut the losses and go on line only ?

I'm sure there may be some folks who will complain about having no hard copy , but with a hobby as technological as ours , how many of us "techies" have no internet access ? In fact , where the FAA sUAS registration is an on line service (that I saw no means of doing otherwise , I saw no option for renewing by mail , unless I missed it ?) it's very likely that in the near future anyone without internet access won't be flying (legally) anyway .

(The above quote was taken from a thread where it was reported that a certain advertiser was conspicuously absent from the November 2018 M.A.)
Old 10-25-2018, 07:40 AM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by init4fun
Yes Franklin , when this is the sentiment of the average AMA member concerning the magazine maybe it is time to cut the losses and go on line only ?

I'm sure there may be some folks who will complain about having no hard copy , but with a hobby as technological as ours , how many of us "techies" have no internet access ? In fact , where the FAA sUAS registration is an on line service (that I saw no means of doing otherwise , I saw no option for renewing by mail , unless I missed it ?) it's very likely that in the near future anyone without internet access won't be flying (legally) anyway .

(The above quote was taken from a thread where it was reported that a certain advertiser was conspicuously absent from the November 2018 M.A.)
As for cutting losses, sound good as long as it results in dues reduction. What would be frustrating to me is see them cuts losses only to put more money into covering staff costs (other major chunk of budget, approx 25%).

As for the November issue, I don't have mine. What retailer is absent?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:22 AM
speedracerntrixie

Have to log in, but read July 2018 EC minutes, section 5 specifically (CFO) to get an idea of the warnings being given to the EC.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/execut...018-ec-minutes

I can’t help but notice that on most sources you quote you use cut and paste but ask guys to log onto the AMA site when you want them to see something there. Any reason for that?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:46 AM
franklin_m

I can’t help but notice that on most sources you quote you use cut and paste but ask guys to log onto the AMA site when you want them to see something there. Any reason for that?
Simple; I'm not going to hand AMA a stick to beat me with.

For years the EC minutes were available on the open portion of the website (i.e. you could read them w/o first logging in as a member). I would post directly. But when they rolled out the new website, they moved them to members only. I don't quote members only material on an open forum. Now I just steer members to it.

Any financial data I quote comes directly from IRS990 filings, which are public documents (required of non-profits). The members only financial reports contain much of the same info, but I always ensure that I can trace info back to an IRS filing (have them all, back to 2007).
Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM
[email protected]

PREDICTION!: When Model Aviation shrinks down to a two-page newsletter, the first page will always have Jay Smith's picture with his latest freebie!
Old 10-25-2018, 12:26 PM
init4fun

As for cutting losses, sound good as long as it results in dues reduction. What would be frustrating to me is see them cuts losses only to put more money into covering staff costs (other major chunk of budget, approx 25%).

As for the November issue, I don't have mine. What retailer is absent?
HobbyKing doesn't have it's usual 4 full pages as in months past .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.